When it comes to business event space selection, a little can turn into a lot and quickly become overwhelming for the budding event planner and even the pro. Your attendance could run low, supplies could run out, the space could be too cramped, people could leave before your event concludes, and worst of all — you could get bad reviews!
But if you choose the right venue, with simple considerations like acoustics, lighting, seating, catering, and cleanliness in mind, the smallest of events can turn into a raging success. That’s because most enjoyable venues always keep guest comfort in mind and align with the corporate event’s goals.
Since your space also defines the tone your event will set among the guests and keeps them talking about it for days to come, all you need to do is follow the trusted tips mentioned below and plan your next best event!
Choose a functional space
Your corporate event venue needs a space that makes people feel welcome and fulfills the event’s purpose. Whether you plan on networking, promoting a new product/service, or celebrating loyal customers, always keep the following considerations in mind, and you’ll find an ideal venue in no time:
- The venue should comfortably accommodate the invited number of guests. (always keep 10-20 people extra in mind!)
- Moving around the seats, tables, stage, bathrooms, and back should be easy and roomy.
- The venue should cater to special needs such as wheelchair accessibility.
- The space should be well-insulated, well-lit, and have great acoustics.
Keeping track of all these things can be challenging, even for pros, so opt for a trusted event venue rental service that can take care of the nitty-gritty details and offer tons of spaces to choose from.
Keep accessibility in mind
What’s a problem that scares every event planner? Low attendance!
But, you can resolve this issue by choosing an event venue guests can reach easily without needing much navigation assistance, such as a well-known marquee, event hall, or outdoor space.
For example, if your event has a majority of guests flying in or driving from other cities, choose a space on the outskirts of town that they can reach easily. Or, for a small-scale event with townie guests, choose a city hub, and you have guaranteed attendance!
Align the space with your event goals or ‘vibe’
Some of the best corporate functions go the extra mile in aligning their venue with the event’s purpose, the company’s goals, and its brand image. So, when choosing a space, ensure it ticks all your boxes for the event’s intended purpose.
Here are some tips that will match your goals to the business event space selection process:
- For networking events: Choose an open, preferably outdoor space, with high tables, limited seating, and plenty of space to let guests mingle.
- For introducing a new product/service: Decorate your venue with free product samples, offer free demos of your service, and incorporate your brand in the decor.
- For seminars/conferences: Select a venue with a large stage, a green room for presenters, and many tables for team-building exercises.
Take care of amenities beforehand
There are some facilities each event needs to have for guaranteed success. For example, a good sound system, refreshments and snacks, cleaning services, etc. It’s not uncommon for most venues to charge extra for these services or not offer them at all. So always check with the venue manager beforehand and make sure there are ample amenities available on hand and plenty of staff to supply them.
In addition, keep the following amenities on your checklist for smooth corporate event sailing:
- Tech: The event space should have a good sound system, microphones, a screen and/or projector, and adjustable lighting.
- Cleaning: Always make sure the venue has cleaning staff who can keep the space clean during and after the event; otherwise, risk having to do it yourself!
- Food and drink: You never want guests leaving early because they got hungry, so keep ongoing refreshments, a snack table, and offer a meal for longer events.
Don’t forget to stay in budget
The biggest mistake most event planners make is going above and beyond their event budget and then having to skimp on essential amenities. Since the venue isn’t your entire budget and you’ll have to make plenty of extra purchases for the event, devise a budget before you start and stick to it.
Here are some ways to choose the best venue while making the most of your budget:
- Get your investors or local brands to sponsor your event for decoration, food/drink, and goodie bags, guaranteeing saved budgets.
- Choose a venue that offers a package including staff, seating, decor, lighting, etc., so you have little additional expenditures left over.
- Host shorter events — less time booked for the venue equals less $ money spent!
- Charge a small ticket fee for people attending outside your guest list.
Take care of testimonials and reviews
Testimonials should be both the first and last step of your event-planning journey. Testimonials from successful event planners are worth gold for your corporate event selection, as they help you choose the best space, hire the best staff, get the best catering service, and so on. So always consult the management behind business events you liked in the past to learn from their mistakes and take their recommendations.
Additionally, you want to make your event memorable by having guests leave reviews before they leave. The best way to accomplish this is by setting up a table near the entrance for guests to leave written reviews or have them rate your event on socials online.
And that’s it! You’ve now successfully planned, visualized, and pulled off a great corporate event that’ll have people talking about it for ages (for all the right reasons, we hope!)
The tips mentioned above for business event space selection may seem simple and straightforward enough, but you’d be surprised how easy they are to mess up or forget altogether. That’s why you should always stick to a checklist, stay on budget, and plan for more people than you invited to ensure a smooth and wrinkle-free event.